Sunday, September 20, 2009

Episode 4: Round the Mountain...

Glorious color!
Miss Babs Hand Dyed Fiber at Greenberry House

Natalie traveled back up the mountain this week to record the podcast at Greenberry House. She showed off a fantastic new bag and had lots of projects, as always to talk about.

Projects:

Dog Hair Singles Yarn
Dog hair singles yarn

Leslie is still spinning the Komodor dog hair for her customer and still liking the process. She is also spinning Corriedale on another wheel when she gets the time, plus spindling some Miss Babs roving once in awhile.

Leslie and Natalie talked about the importance of blocking to turn this funny little twisted bag from this:

Little Crocheted Bag

To this:

Blocked crocheted bag

And Leslie started a new knitting project, but she's not really happy with it. Drop us a line in the comments to say whether she should continue this lace project in this particular yarn:

Seine Scarf by Ann Budd

Special Fiber Interview:

Natalie and Leslie talked about Greenberry House, Leslie's shop in Meadows of Dan. the shop is located just off the Blue Ridge Parkway in the beautiful mountains of Virginia. Leslie described the locally produced yarns and spinning fibers in her shop, and talked about her often unrecognized partner, who is an expert on vintage books and the Civil War, also a part of the business.

New Knitter in town
Woolma, the official Greenberry House "greeter"

Reviews:

Interweave Press Weekend 2009

Leslie and Natalie both had lots to say about the new Interweave Knits Weekend 2009, and Leslie is working on the Seine Scarf from the issue, by Ann Budd.

Next time Natalie will trek back up the mountain and both Leslie and Natalie are looking forward to interviewing Sandra Buckery of Atlantic Breeze Alpacas.

4 comments:

  1. hi there1 I just found your podcast & am enjoying listening to it (I have listened to this episode only so far). I'm pretty fussy with what knitting podcasts I listen to, and yours is a keeper. I did want to mention, however - and PLEASE, I don't mean to sound mean, but it was really, really hard to hear you two talking during parts of the podcast because of your customers in the background who were talking louder than you guys (plus, your customers were having some interesting conversations!!). I realize you probably have to do it in the shop, but perhaps you can only record during breaks? Or talk louder :)? Anyways, thanks for a great podcast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just listened to episode 3 today and popped over to the website to check the show notes. I see there's a 4th episode listed, but it's not coming through on the RSS feed for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comments and suggestions! Anastacia, you're right about recording in the shop...we wanted to do a special session for What's Needling Ewe? grand opening but that didn't work out too well. Hope subsequent sessions have been easier to hear!

    And thanks, Lisa, for the heads up about the RSS feed. I think Natalie has it repaired now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am enjoying the podcasts. Wish I lived closer so I could visit your shops! Sad to say, there is no local yarn shop in my community. I am stuck with visiting big box stores, ordering on line, or traveling to shop for yarn. Boo! Hoo!

    As for Leslie's project...although the colors are lovely, it seems to me that they are too busy for project...I really can't see the lace! Why spend all that time and effort knitting lace if you can not appreciate it??? I say find a yarn that is a little less "busy" for the lace project so your stitches will really stand out. Of course, I am basing my opinion on one photo and sometimes things are different in real life!

    Looking forward to the next podcast.

    Oh, and by the way, I found you because you were mentioned in the Electric Sheep podcast...wow! Here I am in NC, and I learn of you from someone podcasting from London, England. She said she loved your accents...accents? What accents?? You just sound normal to me. (tee! hee!)

    ReplyDelete